Thursday, February 16, 2012

Heart Shaped Three Cheese Ravioli Recipe!

I used Bob's Red Mill semolina flour, and it had a recipe for pasta on the back. I found it was tasty and had just the right texture. I didn't have a recipe for the filling, but I found that having a mixture that was wet and lumpy was perfect. I made the sauce from scratch too. Not to toot my own horn, but this was probably the best meal I've ever made, and I've made quite a few great meals! The sauce was delicious, and the recipe for it is all the way at the bottom of this post :] Also, this was supposed to be a four cheese ravioli, but my dad ate the piece of asiago I had intended for this! Three cheeses is still delicious though!

Here's what you'll need:
3 cheese ravioli recipe, how to make ravioli from scratch, how to make 3 cheese ravioli from scratch, heart shaped ravioli, special recipe, italian food, modern italian food, delicious, cheesy, pasta recipe
For the filling: 2 eggs, 1-1/2 cups mozzarella, 4oz ricotta, 1/2 cup parmesan
3 cheese ravioli recipe, how to make ravioli from scratch, how to make 3 cheese ravioli from scratch, heart shaped ravioli, special recipe, italian food, modern italian food, delicious, cheesy, pasta recipe

3 cheese ravioli recipe, how to make ravioli from scratch, how to make 3 cheese ravioli from scratch, heart shaped ravioli, special recipe, italian food, modern italian food, delicious, cheesy, pasta recipe
I cut my dough into four pieces so that it would be easier to roll. 
3 cheese ravioli recipe, how to make ravioli from scratch, how to make 3 cheese ravioli from scratch, heart shaped ravioli, special recipe, italian food, modern italian food, delicious, cheesy, pasta recipe
Make sure you roll it fairly thin, or else you'll end up with hard pasta!
3 cheese ravioli recipe, how to make ravioli from scratch, how to make 3 cheese ravioli from scratch, heart shaped ravioli, special recipe, italian food, modern italian food, delicious, cheesy, pasta recipe

3 cheese ravioli recipe, how to make ravioli from scratch, how to make 3 cheese ravioli from scratch, heart shaped ravioli, special recipe, italian food, modern italian food, delicious, cheesy, pasta recipe
I moved the little ball of filling towards the center so there would be a little pasta around the outside to seal it later. 
3 cheese ravioli recipe, how to make ravioli from scratch, how to make 3 cheese ravioli from scratch, heart shaped ravioli, special recipe, italian food, modern italian food, delicious, cheesy, pasta recipe
Pinch the edges with a fork to seal the mixture in. Pop these into boiling salted water and when they float to the top, they're done!
3 cheese ravioli recipe, how to make ravioli from scratch, how to make 3 cheese ravioli from scratch, heart shaped ravioli, special recipe, italian food, modern italian food, delicious, cheesy, pasta recipe
Finished product . You can find the recipe for the sauce below!


Pasta Sauce Recipe
1 yellow onion, diced
2 shallots, diced
7 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 carrots, finely chopped
2 celery stalks, finely chopped
1/2 cup red wine (I used Malbec)
2 boxes of strained tomatoes (Pomi brand)
4oz container of Boar's Head Pancetta
2 tablespoons of sugar
1 tablespoon dried fennel seeds
1 tablespoon oregano
2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
Salt to taste
Fresh basil 

In a large pot, over medium high heat, crisp the pancetta. With a slotted spoon, remove the bits of pancetta, but leave the fat in the pot. Add onion and cook until it's translucent and slightly brown. Add carrots, celery, garlic, and shallots. Once they're all cooked, add red wine and the strained tomatoes. Stir in the sugar, fennel, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Salt it to taste and let it simmer on low heat for 2 hours. (it'll still be delicious if you decide to simmer it for less time, but I find that the longer it cooks, the better it tastes!) Sprinkle fresh basil before serving. 

Pin It



Ravioli

19 comments:

  1. These are so so cute! I have never made my own pasta, but now I really want to! Thanks so much for the recipe and cute pictures:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I promise it's a lot easier than you'd think, and fun as well :D

      Delete
  2. I love this. I love ravioli in general, but this is so cute and so dedicated! I've never made my own pasta. I need to try this! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lot easier than people think it is! It pretty much just sounds impressive :]

      Delete
  3. These are just adorable! I so have to try this now <3 I just came across your blog, and I'm so glad I did--you're so cute, and your taste is wonderful and one I can definitely appreciate. Following! :3

    ~ nicole

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks delicious!
    you obviously put a lot of effort into these, they are so adorable :)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. SQUEE! OH geez, I want to make these now. Too bad Valentine's day is over :( I will make them for my wedding anniversary :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy moly! You sound like quite the chef. These are absolutely adorable!! I need to try these out for a special dinner some time soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seriously!? These look so good. Please come and be my personal cook.. helper. <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. AHH so adorable and sounds delicious! Trying this ASAP!

    ♥Vicky
    http://somehowlovely.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. soo soo cute and pretty!!! Will try it for the romantic date at home;) Thanks for sharing!
    Have a wonderful day!
    -Jyoti
    Style-Delights Blog
    Let's Twitter Together
    Friend and Fan on Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  10. This dish sounds very scrumptious indeed. I love the idea of heart-shaped ravioli;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. cutest thing in the world! hope you don't mind if i link over for tomorrow's TiLT post?!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness! These look SO GOOD! Almost too cute to eat! I have never tried to make my own pasta before, as I am not much of a cook, but I am definitely putting this on my "attempt in the near-future" list. Maybe I can try it with pre made dough?
    Anyway, your blog is lovely, I was hooked when I saw the chevron background (I have a similar design as my header!) Thanks for sharing this and have a great day!
    xo Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is so cute!! I just bought a heart shaped cookie cutter too!! I should try this out!! Thanks for the inspiration!! =)


    Lemaine's Randomness Blog

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow...beautiful and so yummy looking!!! I HAVE to try this...thank you for your great blog...

    ReplyDelete