Sunday, November 27, 2011

Holiday Inspiration

 
When I was about ten years old, my mom took me to this great craft store called Diamonds. It was literally craft heaven. It had tons of glitter, styrofoam shapes of all sizes, colorful fabrics- the works. On that day, we weren't there for crafts though. We were there because they offered this nifty service where they make custom christmas ornaments. My mom had ordered tons of golden orbs, deep red light bulb shaped ornaments covered in sumptuous fabrics, red and gold bows- the most beautiful ornaments I had ever seen- and we were there to pick them up. I've been so proud of our Christmas tree ever since. I think she picked such beautiful colors and shapes that will always be beautiful. It's been 13 years since then, and they still look great to me. Yesterday, we put up our tree and as I found the perfect spots to place the glittering baubles; I was inspired to do something Christmassy to my nails.  

This is what you'll need. 

1.Start with your favorite shade of red
2. Make a tic-tac-toe pattern in black. For the horizontal stripes, keep the brush still and move the nail instead. (This keeps them straight!)
3. Make the same in pattern in white to the left and below the black stripes
4. Make the tic tac toe pattern again in green glitter to the right and above the black pattern. 
5. Make a plus sign through the middle with gold glitter
6. Clean up the edges with a q-tip dipped in polish remover
7. Apply top coat and cuticle oil 

You can do this plaid nail design with any other colors to create an entirely different look. I myself have always associated the holidays with plaids. So, it seemed only natural to do a plaid accent nail in festive colors. I hope you enjoyed this!

1 comment:

  1. Your nails are very festive!

    www.aussie-blue.com
    tweet @_MeganJoy

    ReplyDelete